Preparing for your child's departure from the nest onto college life can be an emotional and hectic time. Trying to get everything together that your child will need while away can seem like a big chore to accomplish, but that's where this handy list comes in to help! Here you will find some great ideas for the perfect dorm room essentials, along with a checklist of items to make the job easier! You'll be able to send your son or daughter off with the peace of mind that they have everything they need to succeed.
I thought it would be a good idea to start off talking about storage, since this will be one of the most, if not THE most important thing to remember when moving into a college dorm. The lack of space for your belongings calls for some creative tactics as far as organization. The good news is with the right key storage pieces, you can maximize your space to it's full potential!
Your son or daughter will want to get a good night's rest as much as possible to stay on top of those grades! Choose a comfortable bed set that offers the most bang for your buck. For that, I recommend the good old bed in a bag!
Here are some ideas for kitchen necessities! A coffee pot and a mini fridge are two top recommendations. I also like the idea of sending your child with some meal ideas. Whether it's their favorite homemade recipes written down for them to make themselves, or some handy cookbooks, your child will appreciate it!
For the bathroom there is nothing more handy than a shower tote to store your towel, washcloth, and toiletries! Make sure you have enough towels and washcloths to bring with you, along with enough toiletries to give you a good start!
- Bedside Lamp
- Alarm Clock
- Storage Items
- Waste Basket
- Desk Lamp
- Dry Erase and/or Cork Board for keeping track of dates and displaying photos
- Computer or Laptop and Printer
- USB Flash Drive
- Surge Protector
- Digital Camera
- MP3 Player
- Bedding and Pillow(s)
- Towels and Washcloths
- Laundry Bag or Basket
- Hangers (Space Saver Hangers Work Wonders To Optimize Space!)
- Laundry Detergent, Dryer Sheets, etc.
- First Aid Kit
- Toiletries such as Shampoo & Conditioner, Bar Soap, Razors, Deodorant, Toothpaste & Toothbrush, Floss, etc.
- Hair Brush and/or Comb
- Backpack and/or Messenger Bag
- School Supplies including paper, notebooks, folders, stapler, ruler, calculator, binder, report folders, pencils, pens, markers, scissors, note cards, etc.
- Dictionary & Thesaurus
- Coffee Maker
- Small Refrigerator
- Posters and/or Wall Decals For Decor