There are several ways to protect your family and possessions in your home. However, the most effective way is to have security system monitoring. A monitored system is watched 24/7 all year by trained professionals. If your alarm is triggered, you’ll get help in just a few minutes.
Benefits of a Monitored System
• It is a false belief that a burglar alarm will deter intruders.
Homeowners also think that if a neighbor hears a burglar alarm, they
will call the police. If the neighbors aren’t home, there’s no one to
hear the alarm. Burglars know they have only a few minutes inside a
house, so they are fast even if an alarm sounds. If the alarm is
monitored in a service center, you can be sure someone will hear it.
• If your alarm has a smoke detector, it will ask the monitoring center
for help within seconds and the fire department will be on its way to
your home whether you are home or not even if the alarm is turned off.
This is about as safe as you can get from the danger of fire.
• If your home is invaded when you’re not there, you’ll get an email or
text warning you, so you don’t inadvertently walk into a dangerous
situation. Meanwhile, the police will have been called to your home.
• Having a monitored security system in your home may reduce your
homeowner’s insurance. Many insurance companies offer substantial
discounts to homeowners whose property is monitored.
• If your home is monitored, you’ll have signs around your yard that
indicate the home is protected by a monitored system. Research has shown
that this deters burglars.
• Your system may also have a panic button. When you push it, a signal
immediately goes to the monitoring station where emergency help will be
sent to your home.
Many people make the same home security mistakes. Some things to avoid are:
• Hiding your key in an obvious place – most burglars know about doormats, lawn ornaments and flower pots.
• A ladder nearby - burglars will immediately see a ladder leaning
against the side of your house. They will also look in unlocked garden
• Your garage may be locked but the door from your garage into your
house may not be. Always keep both locked at all times, even if you are
Simple solutions to home security are rarely effective. For genuine peace of mind, a monitored system is the best choice.